Well, sometimes, it turns out, moles are not so funny. Sometimes they are cancerous and evil and scary.
So please, I beg you, get yours checked.
Cancer, even skin cancer is too big for me to talk to you about and even start to advise you on but I can tell you what happened to us.
S had a mole on his calf that ticked all of the A,B,C,D,E boxes (see below) and was sore to touch (one advantage of having an overly inquisitive toddler poking at you constantly, sometimes it hurts where it shouldn't). He went to the doctors and then the hospital and then into surgery all within about a fortnight. It was (can I get a whoop whoop for the past tense there, it's gone!) a melanoma. We are not out of the woods yet and there is another surgery ahead of us but, for now, the cancer is gone, because we found it early on in it's evil little life.
So have a look, a read and a wee inspection of your skin. Because you never know what you might find. It might just save your life, like our wee Will saved his Dads.
Things to look for...
- Asymmetry – Melanomas are likely to be irregular or asymmetrical. Ordinary moles are usually symmetrical (both halves look the same).
- Border – Melanomas are more likely to have an irregular border with jagged edges. Moles usually have a well-defined regular border.
- Colour – Melanomas tend to have more than one colour. They may have different shades like brown mixed with black, red, pink, white or a bluish tint. Moles are usually just one shade of brown.
- Diameter – Melanomas are usually more than 7mm across. Moles are normally no bigger than the blunt end of a pencil (about 6mm across).
- Evolving (changing) – Look for changes in the size, shape or colour of a mole.
- any of the ABCDE signs
- any unusual marks on the skin
- a mole that is changing in size, shape or colour
- tingling or itching in a mole
- crusting or bleeding in a mole
- something growing under a nail or a new pigmented line in a nail.
I got all the above information from the Macmillan website which is a fantastic charity and a very easy to use website.
So Go. Get naked. Check yourself out. Please.